Monday, July 12, 2010

Mi-knees the Bear

Adam and I went to see one of our favorite bands, Minus the Bear, rock out Webster Hall last Thursday. At that point, I've been pretty much confined to my apartment because I couldn't put too much weight on the left leg, and feeling apprehensive about venturing out. I was even considering not going because I know what rock shows are like - there's no guarantee I could rest myself and the leg on a chair and could easily be jostled by the crowd, plus I was still unsure of stairs. Adam knew how much I wanted to see the band (and needed to get out of the apartment), so he called ahead to secure a couple of chairs for me.

So I gulped down a Vicodin, put on a rock show worthy ensemble and ventured out. We got chairs but also found a this stationary block at the very back of the space so I could actually lay out my leg and be able to see above everyone and had a perfect view of the stage. I had a great time, but the best part was that I actually tested out walking on crutches for a longer period of time and got used to walking up and down stairs. My advice to those going into knee surgery: get used to moving on crutches beforehand including stairs and building up endurance. I think practicing immobilizing my left leg with a 2-3 lb weight and just standing with crutches for 5 mins or so would have helped a lot to get used to the feeling of relying on on leg.
-Kitty

P.S. Check out Minus the Bear's new album, OMNI, espcially my favorite song on the CD, Summer Angel. MTB is an indie rock group from Seattle and their music has a lot of intricate guitar work and synths. They're just a super groovy band. You can steam OMNI from here:
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news.php?newsid=13724

No comments:

Post a Comment