Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes...

The theory behind the amount of time I'll be on crutches after surgery depends on the doctor and the Physical Therapist. Dr. C said something around 4 weeks depending on how I respond to PT, but Dr. F said 2-3 weeks. My goal is 2 weeks, but we'll see. That's why I'm accelerating my training program.


Last night while powering through my Pole + Bellydance class at SHOCKra studio, I realized I need to add a lot of arms to my training because I'll have to rely on them a lot while being on crutches. While climbing up a steel pole using arms and sheer will is good exercise, I'll need to do more to strengthen my arms and shoulders. Ugh...

I had right shoulder reconstructive surgery last year, and my shoulder is about 97% back to normal, but still not where I want it to be in terms of flexibility and pain. I'm going to be doing 5 Pilates classes a week (which incorporates some shoulder strengthening and lengthening execises, like arm springs and lots of planks and push ups), but I should do more on my own. My focus will be on reps, but I'll do the following exercises with 5-10 lb weights
  • bicep curls
  • skull crushers
  • tricep kickbacks
  • cable pushdowns (more weight)
  • fun push ups like spider push ups
Knowing me, I'll be bored with these exercises so I'll find ways to jazz these up with kitty bells, stability balls, etc.

I welcome thoughts and arm/leg strengthening programs.

-Kitty

1 comment:

  1. not good for your knee, but should make your dad proud. :)

    ReplyDelete